Filling out the Birth Certificate
East Hawaii Midwife Service Out-of-Hospital Birth Certificate Registration Information
1) Contact the Department of Health Vital Statistics Branch make an appointment
2) Schedule an appointment – (state that you are a home birth family) ask for Mary
3) Bring Proof of prenatal care, birth and postpartum care provided by your midwife
4) Bring Proof of Residence ie: and on a utility bill, rent or mortgage payment slip.The DOH must prove that you are a resident.
5) Bring picture ID ie: driver’s license, state ID, college ID or passport
6) Provide social security number or bring card
7) If parents are not married, bring father of baby with his ID as well and be prepared to sign a voluntary establishment of paternity (VEP) form. This is a requirement if the father is to be listed on the birth certificate.
8) Pick up Birth Certificate application in which can be later mailed in to receive an official copy of your birth certificate (may take several weeks to a couple of months to receive the hard copy) Cost is $10.00 to order the hard copy, no cost to file.
Infant’s Social Security card is offered at the time of filing.If you decide not to get a social security card at the time of birth it is difficult to obtain later.
*If the birth certificate application process is delayed for more than 1 year you will have to go through the court system and many other channels to obtain a birth certificate. I urge to complete this process in the first 2-6 weeks after birth.
At your two week post birth viist, we provide you with the official documentation that you will need to file your baby's birth certificate.